I recently read Checkpoints. It’s a dynamic book. The book is geared toward young men and focuses on helping them live a more Godly life. The precepts in it can be applicable to all men’s lives however. Basic issues that all men deal with are the focus.
Checkpoints is written in a devotional style and this makes tackling the issues easier. There are eight subjects highlighted by the authors. The subjects are broken down into chapters. Since the chapters are written like devotions, each day tackles a different aspect of the subject. At the end of each chapter, there is a summary and review to refresh and strengthen the lessons of the week.
The topics are:
1) Indentity – who are you, and who are you in Christ?
2) Integrity – walking what you talk and being trustworthy.
3) Community – being part of a group, and maintaining integrity.
4) Self-control – protecting the heart and mind from ungodly influences.
5) Courage – standing firmly on God’s precepts, even when fear is present.
6) Patience – knowing that God is in control, even when it doesn’t feel like it.
7) Loyalty – staying true to God and others. Maintaining consistency.
8) Enthusiasm – keeping focused on God and His promises; not on temporal emotions.
Over the next 8 weeks, I’m going to follow the daily devotionals. At the beginning of each following week, I’ll be posting a review of the prior week. In the review I’ll share how I applied the lessons of the week to my life. It’s going to be an interesting time, but one I expect will help me strengthen my walk with Christ.
As I go through it and post my reviews, my hope is that reading the reviews will help others and push them into wanting to read the book as well.